Monday, April 9, 2018

Post #12

Reading Response 
(Art and Fear) 1. What work have you made that seems most yours? Why? Throughout this semester I have made quite a lot of different work; All are paintings but of different subject matter. I feel as though the trials in the beginning lead me to where I am now. I would definitely say the content of my fluid paintings now are ‘more myself.’ I feel as though the galaxy paintings and landscapes from before were trying too hard so I felt as if I were limiting myself. With the abstract fluid paintings I’m working on now, I have more creative freedom to allow the paintings to become what they are meant to be! Which I am throughly enjoying as well!
2. Who are artists that are making work that relates to you? Are there other influences? How are these other influences connected to your work? I have seen the fluid technique done before, but there isn’t a certain artist I’m inspired by. I was more so inspired by the technique itself. Mother Nature is my biggest influence when it comes to my work, no matter if I’m painting, drawing, or sculpting. Nature is directly connected to my work, it really is my immediate inspiration. Usually my work is of landscapes, but with my current paintings that are abstract I am still using the natural colors.
3. Discuss in your own words, why you think this is so? I think there is a lot of truth behind this statement. As you look back in history, no matter what century, you will always find art. Even coming from cultures we might not have a lot of background information on (indigenous people, etc) we still saw drawings from those times. Drawing and art itself, was around before language was really discovered and taught. Art was used as an outlet in place of. Drawing was used to tell stories, and now we still see those stories drawn on caves and tablets. I think art will continue to be used as a way of language and expression. Hopefully art will still play a major part in the generations to come.
4.  Which of these ideas resonates most with you? Why? If they all resonate, how do they differ? I think each statement resonates with me for different reasons. I think everyone is entitled to why they make art. Whether it is to make art that is of nature or what is going on in the world, or protest/inspirational art that the world could benefit from, or to just make art in the world that you’re proud of and you like. There is no negative connotation for what your reasoning is behind making art. You make art because you’re inspired to do so..  I matter where that inspiration comes from!
5. What do you notice about yourself? What are your methods? Subject matter? The answers do not have to be limited to art related topics. I know that my main source of inspiration comes directly from nature. I have a strong connection with nature and the longing to be outside, for as long as I can remember. I can be somewhat of a mess, which isn’t always a bad thing and I usually have a thousand ideas running all at once. I usually try to sort out those ideas and go with the best one first, or which project is due first. Staying on track is always something I have struggled with. Nature again is my biggest subject matter, I would say. If I ever feel really stuck in a place, or not sure what direction to go.. I usually go outside; walking on the beach is where I go to clear my mind. My subject matter can vary, but almost always directly relates to Mother Nature.
6. What do you care about? The answers do not have to be limited to art related topics. 
As I have also previously stated above, I care a lot about nature and the environment. Ever since I was alittle girl, I was always animal obsessed and wanting to spend all daylight hours outside. I was lucky enough to have a childhood before technology really came into play. Animal and environmental activism are a big deal to me. I’ve always said I wanted to change the world, and make it a better place. For as long as I’m on this planet earth, I am going to do my part to be ‘green’ and make better decisions. This year I stopped eating meat as well (just a personal choice) but I feel better about my decision, because I am so fond of all animals. I also have two cats that I love dearly. They are my children, and yes you can call me a crazy cat lady. All of these reasons are why I focus my attention on nature, especially with my art. These are my passions, and what matters the most to me. 

Inspiration

http://www.artnews.com/2018/02/22/nature-things-zhang-enli-turn-toward-beguiling-abstraction/

http://www.artnews.com/2016/05/23/morning-links-ring-one-with-nature-edition/

https://www.artinamericamagazine.com/reviews/faith-wilding/

https://www.artinamericamagazine.com/reviews/kenny-scharf/

https://hyperallergic.com/436476/radiant-energy-visual-arts-center-of-new-jersey-2018/

https://hyperallergic.com/370368/landscape-art-that-depicts-more-than-nature/



My Work
(Added to) Acrylic. 2x3feet

Acrylic. 16x20.

Acrylic. 16x20.

Acrylic. 2x3feet.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Post #12

Reading Response  (Art and Fear) 1. What work have you made that seems most yours? Why? Throughout this semester I have made quite a lot o...